Friday, November 14, 2008

Things In The Works For JaxScene


I've been postponing talking about things JaxScene is thinking of doing that way if we are still thinking them in a month then they must be alright ideas.

The first one and the big one is the 2008 JaxScene yearbook. Hardcopy available online through Lulu.com. It will be set up like a cheesy yearbook, but it will have a lot of the pictures from JaxScene from this year, the event, bands, and happenings. I will need to do spotlight interviews. but yeah that is one idea. It would make a awesome coffee table book.

The second one is a link for out of towners that come to Jaxscene trying to find things to do. Well you click this link and if offers all these discounts for out of towners. This is a tourist city, say you have a business and would like to offer these people a discount this link will show the discount you willing to offer them. Can you imagine if all city's did this? say you go to Seattle and you have this list that says if I eat here and show my out of state license I get 10% off, or if I go to this club I get in free and my first beer is on the house, 15% off the order of a pizza. That would be awesome you would be able to travel for cheaper. Not to mention you will think this city is rad, I love this place. You can write their name down that way they can only use the discount once. This link is going up soon, if anyone want to get in on it just email me what you would offer and it will go on the list. More detail will be provided once the list is up.

The third things is JaxScene contributor Jack Diablo has been working on a forum, make JaxScene yours, you can start discussions, post your pictures, video, events. Don't wait for us to do it. Do you own interviews. It's still in the works but check it out here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me start off by saying I really enjoy Jaxscene. It’s on my daily list of sites I check when I’m at work and my favorite parts are the daily lists of things so do and the photo sets.

In regard to the discounts for out of towners, it’s a little on the gimmicky side. Also, why give out of towners a discount and not locals who are the lively hood of the bars, clubs and restaurants?

If you want Jacksonville to be a stronger tourist destination (for the types of visitors who are of the jaxscene variety) one simple solution is to promote better. Work on getting jaxscene higher on Google keyword searches. I typed in “things to do in Jacksonville”, “Jacksonville art scene”, “Jacksonville music scene” and Jaxscene doesn’t come up. I never knew Jaxscene existed until it was linked from urban Jacksonville.

The Urban Core on November 14, 2008 at 10:23 AM said...

Awesom. BLOW IT UP! I love the idea of the yearbook. WIll you sign mine? I will get my orthodontist to buy an ad. Looking forward to the forum diablo. The city's effort at tourismz is visitjacksonville.com. They also do conventions but did you know that overwhelmingly, people who stay in hotels in Jacksonville are doing it for leisure and not businesses. Did you REALLY know that? Why? because we are awesome. If you have an event that increases room nights at hotels you can get grants and help from Visit Jacksonville and Visit Florida. They are a good group led by a very cool guy (John Reyes). Pro Jacksonville. I like anonymous' idea to reward locals too. What if on big beach nights you got a deep discount at a hotel with your urban core zip code or vice versa downtown. Discounts at retailers create work tho. Plus my stinjy partners don't do discounts. Our tacos start at buck fiddy and what not.

I do love me some jaxscene! Keep up the awesomeness. T

jaxscene on November 14, 2008 at 10:42 AM said...

thanks for enjoying jaxscene. i think i started it out to support the scene i'm in. jaxscene has no desire to get on top. when we post pictures on flickr we purposely leave off tags and option to not post in public areas. i like the idea that the people on jaxscene are looking specifically for it.

i know out of towner discounts sounds gimmicky. i think its just another cool thing to click on that brings us together as a community. i love the clubs and the shops i support and the last thing i want is to see them disappear. go up to any store now as a local and ask for a discount, they will tell you no or do you have a coupon. i just was trying to support these places and hopefully get them more business. that's all i was thinking.

i must also say, and i'm saying your not. but at least we are trying to do something. let it go, let's see what happens. don't pull people down, that's negative. how can anyone predict the outcome. maybe your just trying to rally me up, if so thanks.

if anyone who has a blog knows it's a lot of work. we do what we can. the google thing is a good idea, with very specific keywords. i don't know how to do it, never looked into it. like i said before we've in a way been trying to keep it open to the public but the right public if that is possible.

The Urban Core on November 14, 2008 at 11:28 AM said...

I think that however you decide to do it, we will find a way to participate and fully support. And it will be successful.

There are a lot of great local walkable options to each of the hotels. A visitor incentive would be great.

You are doing a great thing. I'm not communicating well if I was sounding unsupportive. I am hooked and forever wanting to help.

jaxscene on November 14, 2008 at 11:41 AM said...

thanks biggie, sorry i can't make it tonight. you know i would but.......the pearl.....the dj...cough....cough. i'll be there in spirit. maybe i can get someone to take pictures.

Anonymous said...

@anonymous I hear what you are saying about the search engine optimization issue. I, for one, am an amateur still getting used to using the Blogger platform but I plan to look into it. Be sure and check out the thread on the JaxScene Network to add your two cents at www.jaxscene.ning.com!

Back the f up see more homie

JaxScene Mobile

Archive

Followers

 

Hit Counter

JAXSCENE. Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved. Founded by Tom Pennington. "Revolution Two Church" theme heavily restructured and graphic designed by David Welch. jaxscenedavid@gmail.com